Eighty-one years after Nazi Germany occupied the city and its Jewish population was wiped out during the horrific holocaust, a new holocaust monument has been inaugurated in the historical Jewish Shtetl of Shklow, Belarus.
The new monument, initiated and funded by the Klibanov family from Petersburg and Moscow whose roots lie in Shkolw, was inaugurated in a special ceremony. Among those attending were community members from the Mogilev district, dignitaries, members of the Klibanov family, and the Chief Rabbi of Mogilev, Mendel Alperowitz who led the traditional reciting of Yizkor and Kaddish.
Shklow was an important and well-known Jewish shtetl, famed for its Yeshiva and Rabbinical scholars. When the Second World war broke out, thousands escaped the region, and its remaining Jews – estimated at 3,200 people – were brutally murdered in September 1942. May their memory be a blessing.